Have you ever wonder if it is cheaper to make your own hair products than to buy them? Well this recipe is for you. I’ve been making my own hair products for a while now, and typically 80% of the results come from 20% of the ingredients. So if you want an uncomplicated matte pomade that is good for your hair and that you can make yourself. This recipe is for you. I’ve stripped back all the stripped back all the complex ingredients and phased to provide you with a simple and easy way to make your own pomade.
The beeswax will help to coat and protect your hair giving it structure and hold. I’ve thrown in some coconut oil to nourish the hair and promote healthy hair growth. The kaolin clay will help to plump the hair absorbing the oils to provide a matte finish with a bit of texture. And the petroleum jelly is there to aid the ease of application and scoopability of the product.
The coconut oil and petroleum jelly are widely available for low prices from your local supermarkets, and beeswax and kaolin clay are easily sourced online through websites such as Amazon.
- x1 Pot/Saucepan
- x1 Double Boiler – https://amzn.to/365NXHk
(or glass/metal bowl with a wider diameter then your pot)
- x1 Digital Kitchen Scale – https://amzn.to/363XFu7
- x5 clean spoons
Click the links to view on Amazon
- Make and use at your own risk. I have tried and tested this recipe and it worked for me and made my hair feel great. Depending on your ingredients and brewing environment there might be other factors that may affect your product.
- Use clean and dry utensils
- Do not substitute or add water into your recipe. Water based products require preservatives to prevent the products from spoiling and microbial growth.
- You don’t need a preservative for an oil based product, however, I suggest making this in small batches to avoid storing the product for a long time.
Half fill the saucepan with tap water and place on the stove to boil. Meanwhile, continue with step 2.
Tare weight of the double boiler/bowl on the scales. Add the desired each of the ingredients to the boiler/bowl measuring for the desired weight.
Once the water is boiling, turn down the heat to keep the water just below boiling. Then sit the double boiler/bowl with all your ingredients on top of the saucepan.
Stir regularly until the ingredients have completely melted. Then maintain the heat for a further 10 minutes while still stirring regularly.
Remove from heat and stirring carefully but vigorously until the liquid starts to thicken.
For the best results I recommend stirring until the product is almost too thick to stir and then scrape it into your jar/container, this helps to prevent the ingredients from separating during the cooling phase. However, if you don’t want to a messy looking product, you can also try pouring the liquid as soon as it starts to thicken.
Place it in the fridge to cool for a few hours and let the product set for 24 hours before using.
Time to style. Here’s how it looked in my hair when applied to damp hair and after blow drying.
I hope you like it. Leave feedback in the comments below to let me know how you go.
Got everything you need?
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.